|Collection||Leslie Powell Foundation|
|Object Name||print, photographic|
(298) images of artwork and historic photographs pertaining to Leslie Powell. There are views of where Leslie traveled and lived, both overseas and in the US. Some of the travel photos have duplicate prints.
The Leslie Powell Foundation occupied the second floor of the Little Chapel of Lawton, where it conducted monthly art exhibits and functions, from October 1985 through March 2000. In April 2000, the Foundation moved its offices and gallery to its current location of 620 SW D Avenue.
The original building on D Ave appears to have been built in the mid 1920s as part of the second wave of Central Business District construction. City directories at the time listed the building as the location of the "Sanitary Grocery," which operated for at least 30 years. Next door was a car garage, which was destroyed by fire in the 1940s or early 1950s.
Leslie Powell (1906-1978) was born in Kansas. He moved with his parents to Lawton, Oklahoma, ca. 1912. Leslie graduated from Lawton High in 1922. He attended OU and the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts (1922-1926), then moved to New Orleans in 1927, where he taught art. He continued teaching and exhibiting in New Orleans, but moved to NYC in 1928 to pursue his art career. In 1930, Leslie worked for Richard Hudnut's cosmetic company as a designer, and traveled to Europe for the first time. His first one-man show in New York was in 1939, at the Charles Morgan Gallery, in Manhattan on 57th Street. By 1941, Leslie had his first show at the Whitney Museum in NYC. During WWII, he became a mechanical draftsman, working on blueprints for the Navy and drawing for training manuals. After the war, he traveled abroad, both to Europe and South America, a great deal, usually returning home to Lawton in the summer, until his father died in 1956. In 1955, Leslie received his Masters in Art from Columbia University, and decided to moved to Santa Fe. He continued his national and international travels, and exhibited both in the states and abroad. In 1966, Leslie was recognized in "Who's Who in American Art". He moved back to New York in 1968, and discovered the Orient in the early 1970s. In 1975, Leslie has a mild stroke. He moved into a nursing home in NYC in 1977 and died in 1978. He is buried in Highland Cemetery, in Lawton, Okla. (see 3-ring binder for chronology)
|Year Range from||1920.0|
|Year Range to||1978.0|