|Collection||Winchester Repeating Arms Co.|
|Object Name||print, photographic|
(14) copy prints, art and literature involving the Winchester rifle.
#1 - "Winchester General Offices" building
#2 - advertising
#3 - #7 - rifles
#8 - #13Winchester in advertising, calendars, and literature
#14 - Remington print
The company started as the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in 1866.
"During the late 1890s and early 1900s, several companies in the United States began to develop as integrated ammunition organizations. One of those was the Western Cartridge Company, which was also a powder manufacturer. In 1892, Franklin W. Olin and his associates formed the Equitable Powder Manufacturing Company at East Alton, Illinois, to manufacture black powder which was sold chiefly to the mines in the area. However, because that business was seasonal, Olin became interested in loading shotshells. In February 1898, he persuaded his associates to join him in forming the Western Cartridge Company, also located in East Alton, the principal purpose being to provide a market for powder which could be produced by The Equitable Powder Company in the off season....In December, 1980, [Winchester's] board of directors authorized the restructuring of the Winchester Group to allow Olin to better focus more of the company's resources on Winchester's sporting and defense ammunition business. In the restructuring, the company's U.S. sporting arms business was set up as a free standing operation, which subsequently was sold to the U.S. Repeating Arms Company in New Haven, Connecticut in July, 1981. The New Haven operations had been part of the company for nearly half a century. That company produces Winchester brand rifles and shotguns under license from Olin Corporation."
|Year Range from||1891.0|
|Year Range to||1900.0|