Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession # 1995-P011
Collection McMahon, Louise
Object Name negative, film
Description (1) negative and (1) contact. Portrait, painting of Louise McMahon by Rees.
(1) copy print

FAMILY INFO: E.P. McMahon was a lawyer who came to Lawton in July 1901. He purchased lots in the sale, and built a five room house at 714-716 C Ave. His wife, Louise McMahon, was an accomplished musician, who gave piano lessons. Their son Eugene moved to San Antonio, where he had established himself in the oil business. His parents moved to San Antonio after he divorced. Eugene married and divorced again for a second time. "It was during this period that the idea of a charitable foundation occurred to the McMahons...Plans for the new foundation moved ahead quickly and by July 1940, the board of trustees held its first meeting." The first action taken by the trustees was to make a donation to the Lawton City Mission. When Eugene died in July 1945, he willed a large estate to the Foundation and Louise returned to Lawton. After supervising construction of the McMahon Foundation Building, Louise turned her attention to the construction of a civic auditorium. The McMahon Auditorium was dedication by Mrs. McMahon on March 11, 1954. The McMahon Foundation became a pertetual foundation for the people of Lawton and Comanche County. The Museum of the Great Plains was built with Foundation monies in 1960, with a $2.8 million addition in 1997. Many other public bldgs. in Comanche County were paid for by the Foundation, including the Comanche County Fairgrounds Trust Authority, Lawton-Fort Sill United Fund, Lawton YMCA, Cameron University, and McMahon-Tomlinson Nursing Home.
Year Range from 1955
Year Range to 1959
Film Size 4" x 5"
People McMahon, Louise Davis
Search Terms artwork
portrait
organization, county
organization, municipal