|Collection||Howell, Alice K., Estate|
|Object Name||print, photographic|
(1) oversize photograph of A.T. Howell, Lawton's first school superintendent. Howell School was dedicated Dec. 21, 1952 by Superintendent John Shoemaker. The building was "accepted" by Lynette Davis, first grade pupil. The school is located at 2402 SW E Ave.
From the Lawton Constitution, Dec 17th, 1952: "Mrs. A.T. Howell will be guest of honor for the program honoring her husband's memory. A portrait of her late husband will be presented to the school by Exall English, member of the board of education and long-time friend of he Howell family. It will be accepted by Mrs. Mildred Coltharp, principal."
The portrait is the same that was donated to the Museum in 1962.
Donor Allen J. Bilbrey (1905-1975) was born in Alvord, Texas. He graduated from Decatur Baptist College and became a school teacher. In 1944, Bilbrey moved from Electra, Texas to Lawton. Before he opened a real estate and insurance office in 1955, located in the Koehler Bldg, Bilbrey ran a grocery store. He represented the Business Men's Insurance Co. and became a land negotiator for the City of Lawton.
|Year Range from||1900|
|Year Range to||1910|
Howell, Alice K.